Please visit our latest blog post for more information on our response to COVID-19.

LastPass header for password sharing infographic
The team behind popular password manager, LastPass have revealed the results of a survey on the frequency of password sharing, and it’s official: the average user does share an overwhelming number of passwords, and they’re doing so with little consideration for their privacy and security.

In fact, 95% of people share up to six passwords with those closest to them, including network, entertainment, financial, business and social logins, despite the majority acknowledging that it is incredibly risky to share these credentials. Most shockingly, only 19% of those surveyed said they don’t share passwords that could potentially compromise their identity or financial information, leaving 81% happy to share those details.

Some of the other illuminating statistics revealed in the survey include:

  • 73% of those surveyed admitted that they knew that sharing their passwords is a risky move
  • 59% admitted to re-using passwords associated with other accounts
  • 40% of those in the 18-29 age bracket are happy to share their passwords with others, dropping to 15% for those aged 30-44 and 6% at 45-59
  • 74% share passwords verbally, but worryingly, over 10% share their credentials electronically (typically via email or text message) with little encryption in the way
  • Just over a quarter of those surveyed take the necessary steps to reset a password after they’ve shared it with someone else

The motivation behind this research is to promote safer web access and sharing, and the survey certainly does provide a firm nudge to ensure we’re not using shared passwords for accounts that contain anything sensitive.

The big question emerging from this survey is: if we really do need to share passwords with one another, how can we do so safely?


We are Connect – the original web development agency. We have been providing best-in-class web, data and development services to public and private sector clients since 1994. Connect with us today to take the first steps towards your digital transformation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

incorporate
season